R&D Electrical Engineer
Job Title: R&D Electrical Engineer
Location: Farmington, Connecticut
This position is responsible for researching, developing, designing and testing electronics and embedded firmware, for electrical systems used in motor control.
ebm‑papst Inc. is seeking an experienced electrical engineer to join the Electrical Engineering R&D department, to develop advanced control electronics for electronically commutated 3 phase motors up to 15 KW. These motors are used for driving industrial fans and blowers in multiple market sectors. The US R&D departments are growing to become a local design center for the Americas. This candidate is a motivated EE department team member, interfacing with mechanical, motor, airflow and applications engineers locally, and in collaboration with engineering departments in the German divisions. The responsibilities involve multiple aspects of the design, including motor power electronics for up to 575 VAC, 3 phase power, power factor correction, winding drive circuits, EMC, serial and network communications, SMPS, microcontrollers, firmware, analog & digital interfaces and testing.
Essential Functions of the Job:
The essential functions of this job require the person, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the following:
- Embedded controllers – Selection of microcontrollers suitable for the application. Functions for serial and network communications, internal status monitoring, failure logging and closed loop controls.
- Software development in C for embedded controls and PC software tools with Visual Studio. Microchip Technology processors and development tools are primarily used.
- Power circuit designs include IGBT bridge and driver circuits for voltages up to rectified 575 VAC 3 phase power with a clear understanding of the materials and spacing requirements of the circuit board. Knowledge of passive and active power factor correction methods and circuits is key for these products. A good understanding of power grid transients and anomalies is key in understanding how do design for robustness.
- Design of switch mode power supplies with the analysis of system power requirements including the possible transients and anomalies of mains power. LTspice is the mail tool used for simulation of power supplies as well as general analog analysis.
- In conjunction with the product research and designs, there will be development of test fixtures and procedures for the evaluation of the electronics for accuracy, robustness and reliability. Hardware and software is developed for creating test conditions as well as data logging of electrical signals and thermal stresses.
- Circuit analysis should include reliability, component derating, thermal and component stress. The analysis data is used in design reviews, design verification and FMEA.
- There should be familiarity with regulatory safety and EMC standards for industrial and residential applications. (UL, FCC, NEBS, IEC, etc.) Tracking of tests to log the progress of compliance for status updates.
- This position is part of a project team including a PCB design engineer, local electrical engineers, global electrical engineers, applications engineers, mechanical engineers and manufacturing engineers. The product development involves all stages from conceptualization to production as well as a broad range of understanding from EMS, mechanical, production, thermal and airflow issues. Excellent communication skills are needed to keep team members informed and the projects progressing as well as good listening skills to properly understand issues. The ideal candidate should be self-motivated to understand these areas and broad these skills.
- Plan and track program development, project progress and schedules. The use of MS Project is key in this role. Schedules and progress will regularly be presented with MS PowerPoint.
- There will be collaboration of ideas and designs with German divisions, and travel may be required at times for training and meetings.
Recommended Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum education - Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum relevant circuit design experience - 6 years.
All Employees are Expected To:
- Follow the Employee Handbook policies and procedures and uphold organizational values.
- Contribute to building a positive work environment.
- Report for work consistently and on time.
- Report to supervision conditions or practices that are unsafe to ebm‑papst and its employees.
If you are interested in applying for this position, click on the button below.