Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Department: Tool Shop
Location: Farmington, Connecticut
This position is responsible for designing solutions with the use of CAD based on the customer requirements. Will be in charge of all mechanical aspects of the projects from start to completion.
Essential Functions of the Job:
The essential functions of this job require the person, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the following:
- Organize the review of new projects with the customers, document requirements, and have a clear understanding of what needs to be accomplished.
- Review new projects with engineering and manufacturing teams. Determine if the tool shop has the capability to complete the job and meet customer requirements.
- Create concept models/drawings, develop preliminary BOM, and work with electrical/automation engineers to assemble a detailed quotation to customer for review.
- Use 3D modeling software (Creo) to design a solution keeping manufacturing processes and capabilities in mind. Carefully consider tolerances, material choices, and components when designing.
- Create and maintain 2D CAD drawings and Bill of Materials (BOM) in accordance to published design standards.
- Input data into the AS400 MRP system.
- Work with suppliers/purchasing (sheet metal, machining, 3D printing, etc.) to quote the external components. Ability to accept/reject supplier questions regarding material substitutions or tolerances.
- Continuously look for new suppliers for manufacturing processes.
- Knowledge of measurement tools and have the ability to inspect/measure manufactured components.
- Assist mechanical technicians during assembly process and perform runoff to ensure all mechanical aspects are functional, work safely, and efficiently to meet user needs. Document assembly process, create build instructions, and operation manual.
- Use of the following software: Creo, SolidWorks, Mac-Pac, Microsoft Suite, various software from epM (parent company).
- Work with parent company (Germany) or other subsidiaries on projects (China, India, etc.). Confluence, sapme, misc software from epM, windchill, project management software
- Make recommendations regarding capital tooling and equipment. This may include externally purchased capital equipment, internally produced capital equipment, and inter-plant equipment transfers.
- Advanced problem-solving, critical thinking skills, effective verbal and written communication, ability to work under pressure, self-motivated, self-starter, hands-on skills, and a great teammate.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary engineering teams and work with vendors and contractors. Provide technical information to other departments as needed.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Recommended Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or Similar).
All Employees are Expected To:
- Follow the Employee Handbook policies and procedures and uphold organizational values.
- Contribute to building a positive work environment.
- Report for work consistently and on time.
- Report to supervision conditions or practices that are unsafe to ebm‑papst and its employees.
If you are interested in applying for this position, click on the button below.