Job Title: Automation Technician
Department: Tool Shop
This position is responsible for assembling electrical machine components per print/model, installing sub-assemblies, verifying electrical functions, and final machine set-up.
Essential Functions of the Job:
The essential functions of this job require the person, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the following:
- Review new projects with engineering and manufacturing teams. Determine if the tool shop has the capability to complete the job and meet customer requirements.
- Review documents (customer specification, quotation, statement of work, BOM, etc.) to ensure that all details are met.
- Assists engineers in developing and designing hardware and software required for all automation solutions per specifications.
- Primary builder of complex electrical assemblies following 3D model viewers, 2D drawings, PLC code, and assembly instructions. Utilizing hand and power tools, cranes, fork trucks, etc.
- Wiring electrical panel for system, running wires for sensors, setting up vision systems, verifying I/O communicates to PLC and HMI.
- Work with Mechanical Technicians through completion of the machine building process.
- Troubleshoot - perform root cause analysis of issues and provide containment and corrective actions (working with automation engineer, if necessary).
- Implement and diagnose communication systems including Modbus (RTU and TCP/IP), Ethernet IP, and Hart Protocols
- Document any changes during build & test and ensure engineer is aware of changes. Collaborate with engineers to develop assembly processes and procedures
- Input data into the AS400 MRP system, work orders, log into jobs, etc.
- Support and repair previously built machines with guidance from manuals, drawings, and models.
- Use of the following software: CAD Viewer, Mac-Pac, Microsoft Suite, PLC programming, various software from epM.
- Work with parent company (Germany) or other subsidiaries on projects (China, India, etc.).
- Advanced problem-solving, critical thinking skills, effective verbal and written communication, ability to work under pressure, self-motivated, self-starter, strong hands-on skills, and a great teammate.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary engineering teams and work with vendors and contractors. Provide technical information to other departments as needed.
- Willing to train candidates with automation aptitude. Stay up to date with leading edge technology. Maintain cleanliness of the overall shop.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Recommended Education and/or Experience:
- Technical School Degree (2 years) in Industrial Technology with a concentration and knowledge of electrical circuits, electronic device basics, pneumatics, hydraulics, and PLC programming
All Employees are Expected To:
- Follow the Employee Handbook policies and procedures and uphold organizational values.
- Contribute to building a positive work environment.
- Report for work consistently and on time.
- Report to supervision conditions or practices that are unsafe to ebm‑papst and its employees.
If you are interested in applying for this position, click on the button below.